Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Meet The Candidate Speech July 24 Calvary Chapel


It would be an honor and privilege to represent the citizens of Fernley and in particular Ward 1.

I know and love this ward. I know its great strengths, its character and its diverse needs. There is probably nowhere in the city where there is more civic energy, more imaginative ideas, and more diversity than in Ward 1. The council person for Ward 1 needs to be accessible to both the new Fernley Resident who has bought a home at the Golf Course after a recent retirement from a successful career in California, to the third generation farmer on Vine St. whose bumper proudly bears the sticker saying “I don’t care how they did it in California.” I believe I am the person who can do that.

My relationship with this city began in 2001 when my husband and I chose to buy our first home, at 140 Granada St. in Ward 1. While I wasn’t exactly kicking and screaming about the move, I did have serious doubts about my ability to be happy in this little one horse town in the middle of the desert.

My love for this community, however, far surpassed any initial doubts I may have had, and I soon found myself deeply involved in community activities ranging from coaching soccer to judging high school forensics competitions for the American Legion.

My desire to be a part of the city council comes from this genuine love of Fernley and the people who live here. I have seen firsthand the dramatic changes the city has undergone in just the short few years it has been incorporated. I know that many of our residents are new to Fernley and many have come from places where they are used to better municipal services. However, I also know that these services come at a price, not only in money and time, but sometimes at the expense of our quality of life. I want to be a member of the city council to help make the decisions that give us 21st century amenities without giving up on our unique rural assets.

Fernley is in the middle of a difficult transition from small town to small, modern city. When I first moved here, we leisurely drove along un-crowded 2 lane rounds and no one even knew what a roundabout was, but things have changed since then. And change, while inevitable comes with challenges that require action. We must be pro-active. We must be creative, and we must be willing to seek out new possibilities and take some risks.

Unmanaged growth will destroy the character of any city, but growth can be managed. We can preserve the best of our past and still welcome a bright future, if we have leaders who are committed to both our past and our future, and who have the backbone to enforce reasonable laws and regulations designed to manage growth and protect our quality of life.

As we move forward, we need a new, progressive voice on the City Council; a voice that offers new ideas to address challenges both old and new. I will contribute that fresh outlook.
I have the qualifications, credentials, educational background, and passion to competently represent the citizens of Fernley. I have successfully participated in private business, public service, and community organizing. As a mom, I am committed to the quality of life in our community.

I am committed to the future. As I said before, we are at a critical juncture in our city’s history. The choices we make today will directly affect the community in which we- and our children- will live tomorrow. I believe that a strong community is defined by connections. The connections between parents and children, among homes, schools, and businesses, and between our small town atmosphere and the necessary growth that will sustain our community. Everything from new housing, to transportation, to elder care, and facilities and programs for our kids – all of these individual concerns affect each other. I will look at that bigger picture.

I am committed to Public Safety.

My husband and I are raising our family of 6 boys here in Fernley, and I understand the expectations of parents for a safe, active, and caring community.

I view public safety as a larger community issue that involves not only our Sheriff’s Deputies, but also land use and planning decisions, neighborhood watch groups, safe places for our kids to hang out and be themselves, and programs that allow the elderly and teens to get to know and care for one another. I am committed to taking a pro-active stance with NDOT advocating for safer travel in our community. They might not think that a traffic light is warranted on Fremont, but I live here and KNOW it is. I want to take action before a tragedy occurs.

I am committed to Healthy Growth.

It is irresponsible for us to continue focusing on increasing taxes, increasing water user fees, and levying unfair burdens on new construction to support the growing needs of our community.
I believe the city needs to have a sensible plan for economic development that will provide the means by which we will pay for community improvements. Having a strong base of retail and service businesses increases employment opportunity and also contributes to a growing community wealth. We need to make an effort to bring more money in to the community than leaves the community. The money that stays in the community is invested in homes, businesses, public works, and is available for lending. It also circulates through local businesses increasing opportunity for more and more citizens. Just as a good savings account makes you individually more prosperous, economic development success will make our community more prosperous. Economic Development for the city must begin with the lead of the City Council. The City Council needs to play an active role in economic development by partnering with the Chamber of Commerce, local builders, Lyon County government, and regional and state entities to assure continued, desirable, and manageable economic growth.

I also believe that the city manager’s office needs to be more aggressive in seeking out grants. We are one of the ONLY cities federally mandated to build new water treatment plants that did not receive grants to help pay for it. That is free money that is falling out of our pockets! Why are we one of the only communities burdening our citizens with a $90 million debt?

I am committed to our Youth.
Most of my community involvement has centered on our youth, and I will continue to do that as a member of the city council. Supporting our children is critical to Fernley’s success. I will champion programs to engage our city leaders and residents in efforts to enhance the ongoing school experiences of our youth including early childhood enrichment, after school initiatives, career development services, and mentoring.


I am committed to Building Bridges.
Too often, we see our community divided. We hear about old Fernley and new Fernley. It makes for heated debates, but this is everybody’s Fernley. We need a leader on our City Council who hears the voices and concerns of people from all sides of any argument and translates those perspectives into action and creative solutions. We need a leader who will work together with other government agencies for results.

I am committed to our City Staff.
I will work toward building the best possible city staff. We have to hire and retain good people if we want safe streets, reliable power, clean water, and all the other benefits of good government. This requires a strong commitment to merit-based hiring principles, effective training programs, and enough respect for the ability of our workers to pay them fairly and then hold them accountable for doing their jobs with excellence.

We have a wonderful mayor in Mayor Cutler. He has a strong vision for the city of Fernley and I share that vision. This is not to suggest that I would be a rubber stamp for the mayor. Far from it. As my husband can attest, I am not shy about speaking my mind.

But I can work with the mayor and the other members of the City Council on the pressing issues facing this city.
City government can lead, be positive, open doors, be business-friendly, be proactive in seeking issue solution, and partner with organizations to make Fernley a better place. I am dedicated to be a leader in city government with a “yes we can, let’s figure out how” attitude.

I am committed to the Citizens of Fernley

I’m passionate about making Fernley the community I know it can be. I am committed to serving Ward 1 and Fernley residents by making myself 100% accessible for you to voice your concerns. I will use my community and work service experience to work with the council and City staff, to be an advocate for the city, and represent the neighbors and families in Ward One, I will listen, I will answer my email and my telephone, I will be present and committed. I If elected to council, I will listen respectfully to what the people in my ward ask of me, and I will follow what they ask me to do, or provide a polite and honest explanation for why I cannot.
We’re at a critical juncture in the course of Fernley’s history and we have some big decisions to make about what kind of community we wish to become. As voters, we have some big decisions to make about what type of leaders we want.

There are many different types of leadership styles. The leadership style that I have adopted over the years is what you would call a servant leader. I am a servant first and a leader second. I have been serving the residents of the city of Fernley since he first moved here seven years ago. Whether it was coaching soccer, teaching drug prevention courses at the Middle School, judging forensics competitions for the American Legion, or directing children’s theater. I have always engaged myself professionally and personally in activities that help make Fernley a better place to live. A servant leader encourages collaboration and trust. A servant leader listens. A servant leader governs based on compromise but a servant leader never compromises on his principals. That is who I am. Serving our city is no easy task. There are many interests and voices to be considered. But you can be assured that with me, you will have a leader who will look around to see who’s missing from the table before any conversation begins. And once that conversation starts everyone will have a voice.
And before any decision is made or vote cast I will ask myself:
* How will my decision affect our children’s future?
* How will my decision maintain the integrity of this great city?
* How will my decision move this city forward?

If that is the type of leader you want, I ask that you vote for me for Fernley City Council Ward 1. Our votes will make a difference. It’s time for a much-needed change of direction on the council so that we can start planning for the challenges of the next 20 years instead of arguing about the past 20 years.

As I proceed in this campaign, I seek your advice, guidance and support. I welcome your active engagement in this great effort. Let us work together, in common purpose, to make Fernley the great city it can and should be. Let us work together with a commitment to community.
Thank you!

No comments: